Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

sicktrader

Best Mobile Trading Setup?

I am going to be travelling quite a bit (inside US) during the summer and I am in the market for a good laptop trading setup. Not much in the know on what is out there and what is best for trading. Not even sure what a good setup will cost, but I am hoping that about 5k will sufficient. Last thing I want to do is spend a lot of cash and later find out I didn't buy the right equipment. Any help would be appreciated.

I will always recommend IBM (lenovo now). Not fancy, but the technology is there once you take it apart.

Look always at the screen resolution minimum 1450 wide.

HDD it's up to you, but 7200 RPM is recommended.

At lest Dual Core - Always! And the best is Intel...

RAM minimum 2GB

And if there is a possibility, look at the graphic card, to have not integrated and not Intel, etc. Must be radeon or something else, but not integrated.

Also google for "laptops for traders", there are many choices.

Edited by zapisy

You might like this with its extra screen...ThinkPad's are very reliable too.

ThinkPad W Series

Here is a pick from the W series with the expandable screen. doesn't that little expansion look perfect for a DOM.:)

attachment.php?attachmentid=19266&stc=1&d=1266250843

I haven't seen a better setup than this but I haven't looked too long. It might be nice to have some portable screens that were flat on both sides and had a collapseable stand so you could easily throw them in a briefcase or luggage.

A lot of it depends on how you trade. Some people need 4 screens to trade one future and lightning connection/processing speed due to their method of trading. They are going to require much more to get mobile.

I haven't heard of many on TL being traveling traders. I'd be interested to hear from traders who actually travel and trade at the same time. For some reason this appears to be a big perk of daytrading before you actually start daytrading. Then the realities of trading kick in. For me I think, "why don't I just make more money (trade more contracts) before I travel and then I can travel without needing to trade at all."

5aa70fd07537e_2-15-20103.png.21b8d25f109b8d1f1f9f57d082709a51.png

Edited by Dinerotrader

Here is a pick from the W series with the expandable screen. doesn't that little expansion look perfect for a DOM.:)

This is awesome. I have been looking at laptops for a while and had not seen this one even after exploring Lenovo's website. I build a lot of big Excel spreadsheets so this is pretty cool.

This is awesome. I have been looking at laptops for a while and had not seen this one even after exploring Lenovo's website. I build a lot of big Excel spreadsheets so this is pretty cool.

I actually called Lenovo yesterday because you can't order the W700 right now. They said they are not selling it right now but are planning on selling it again starting in March.

I actually called Lenovo yesterday because you can't order the W700 right now. They said they are not selling it right now but are planning on selling it again starting in March.

That's good to know. Really considering this system, but if I have more negative trading days like I had yesterday I'll be eating a lot of bologna for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I guess the only downfall of previous models was just about an hour of life when unplugged, but that wouldn't be a problem for me. At that price I would like to give it a test run first.

It really depends on how demanding your charting and other software is.

I've always been one that goes for top of the line when I upgrade, but to be honest, I can run OEC charts on a plain laptop just fine. As long as I have reliable internet, I can trade from just about any laptop, incl a netbook if needed.

So if your charting and whatever else you run is demanding, then you need to make sure you have the right internal components. If it's simple in nature, then any decent laptop will do the trick.

For example, I am typing this on a laptop that is a core duo 1.6ghz with 2 gig of ram and my OEC charts are running just fine on it. This is my catch all laptop and I also have 2 IE windows open and 7 firefox windows open, plus a Word doc. And the charts are cruising along just fine.

I use a Dell Vostro with (3) 22" monitors (plus the laptop screen which makes 4 in all) and a Triple Head 2Go from Matrox for the (3) 22". It works great.

You may want to contact customtradingcomputers.com, or cyberpowerpc.com

They were referred to me.

Hope it helps.

I use a Dell Vostro with (3) 22" monitors (plus the laptop screen which makes 4 in all) and a Triple Head 2Go from Matrox for the (3) 22". It works great.

You may want to contact customtradingcomputers.com, or cyberpowerpc.com

They were referred to me.

Hope it helps.

Wow. What does a setup like that run? Any pics?

I probably should have clarified the statement. I came up with the (3) 22" monitors,etc; myself. I got most of my information about my setup by being a member of TradeTheMarkets with John Carter and Hubert Senters. I probably have less than $2,000 in my setup.

The 2 links that I suggested are just references that I picked up by being a member of TTM. I didn't get my setup (monitors, etc; from these 2 links) Sorry for the confusion.