Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Well, since this forum is mostly full of guys and I didn't see a thread about cars, I figured I better start one. I bought and sold cars with dealers for a small part of my career and am still partial involved with the car business.

I look at cars often from a biggest bang for my buck situation and as such my current dream car is the 2008 Maserati Gran Turismo (see pic below). Maserati's depreciate very fast so I am planning on buying a 2008 in a couple years for around ~$50k. We'll see if it happens.

What is your attainable dream car if you end up making some good money with trading as we all hope to do or as some have already done?

Including a picture is a requirement for posting here. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=17517&stc=1&d=1263060720

5aa70f9d26664_1-9-20104.jpg.0ac59ce29224999819f0a7be6ff85d7c.jpg

Edited by Dinerotrader
picture requirement added

Great thread.

I am going old school.

Had two of these as a teen and early twenties.

They were not hemi, and that has been my dream to get. I had 1970 -340- engines, one in red and one in white.

looking to collect two or three and even a Plum Crazy colored convertible Challenger 1970

Space to keep a collection of cars is a problem.

1970 Hemi Cuda

1213023593_1970_Plymouth_Hemi_Cuda_7139w.jpg

Plum Crazy colored convertible Challenger 1970

50810pr.jpg

1213023593_1970_Plymouth_Hemi_Cuda_7139w.jpg.6588dc03e7ba862bf5c0e0c910b7690e.jpg

Edited by TIKITRADER

That Maserati is sweet...can I fit a baby seat in there? :cool:

This would be the weekend/"date with the wife" driver. I'll let me kids look at it from a safe 15' feet away. I've cleaned underneath my kids car seats before and really......I don't think so in the Maserati.:)

Prices for the dream cars I previously posted and want to collect.

1970 Hemi Cuda

attachment.php?attachmentid=17525&stc=1&d=1263091828

As listed in the Barrett-Jackson 2009 Collector Car Auction pdf

Mopars at the January 2009 Barrett-Jackson Auction – Scottsdale, Arizona

Originally these cars were selling for around $5,000.00 to $6,000.00 new in 1970

5aa70f9d9f14c_cudaprices.thumb.jpg.08687d226d2dc61a0c45140f48cba7b3.jpg

Prices for the dream cars I previously posted and want to collect.

1970 Hemi Cuda

attachment.php?attachmentid=17525&stc=1&d=1263091828

As listed in the Barrett-Jackson 2009 Collector Car Auction pdf

Mopars at the January 2009 Barrett-Jackson Auction – Scottsdale, Arizona

Originally these cars were selling for around $5,000.00 to $6,000.00 new in 1970

WHAT !?!?!

I could buy a BRAND NEW Porsche Turbo for that price !

WHAT !?!?!

I could buy a BRAND NEW Porsche Turbo for that price !

and I had two of these when I was young and they cost a few thousand. oh well LOL.

I think right now with the kids educations I can set this dream aside for a long time.

Nice to see the Mopars in this subject. When I was a "kid", 30 years ago or so, I had a 1970 Superbee. No hemi, but I had the 383 moving pretty good. Fun stuff.

I don't know if I would spend money on any kind of special car now even if i did have it, but I wouldn't mind having one of these to tinker with again. It's the tinkering that's fun.

It would take a tremendous amount of money just to take this out on a Sunday afternoon, now days. With the 456 rear end gears I had in it, the gas mileage was not good.

Fun stuff...

JH

5aa70f9dbaab2_1970superbee.thumb.JPG.b6c8b246837734616378f1330e2bfa4d.JPG

Well, since this forum is mostly full of guys and I didn't see a thread about cars, I figured I better start one. I bought and sold cars with dealers for a small part of my career and am still partial involved with the car business.

I look at cars often from a biggest bang for my buck situation and as such my current dream car is the 2008 Maserati Gran Turismo (see pic below). Maserati's depreciate very fast so I am planning on buying a 2008 in a couple years for around ~$50k. We'll see if it happens.

What is your attainable dream car if you end up making some good money with trading as we all hope to do or as some have already done?

Including a picture is a requirement for posting here. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=17517&stc=1&d=1263060720

A guy in my neighboorhod has a Gran Turismo S in Nero Carboni metallic black with the 20" Birdcage wheels in Grigio Mercury paint.....car is very SHARP!

I really like the new Skyline GT-R but lately after checking one out in person I am getting hooked on the new Panamera S (and I am not a Porsche fanatic by any means). A very different from the rest of the crowd looking Panamera S in Yachting Blue Metallic with Platinum Grey leather would be just fine imo!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YssFS12jVUU]YouTube - Porsche Panamera TV Commercial (60 sec version)[/ame]

I'll keep it simple and not post any of my project toys I have.... and throw in the 'best bang for the buck' sports car out there. I dream about this thing......

attachment.php?attachmentid=17851&stc=1&d=1263584467

attachment.php?attachmentid=17852&stc=1&d=1263584467

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlGMX8G3B4]YouTube - ZR1 Drag Race King - Spanks GTR, 599, and GT2[/ame]

Chevrolet-Corvette_ZR1_2009_1280x960_wallpaper_03.thumb.jpg.8d0a7fa40dfd3fb3eb41026b63933832.jpg

ZR1BLACK2_copy.thumb.jpg.dd6c7c8a2aba7ca08433823eabf63a1d.jpg

I'll keep it simple and not post any of my project toys I have.... and throw in the 'best bang for the buck' sports car out there.

The reason I define the Gran Turismo as a big bang for your buck is that you get huge status props from having a boutique car but the price on a used maserati is fairly low compared to other boutiques like a ferrari or Lambo. If you drive up in a maserati it is a much different reaction than if you drive up in a car that people are used to seeing like a corvette or bmw.

If you want the fastest car for your money, go with a Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi EVO. They don't turn many heads but they are

For the sake of rambling, Porshe makes some amazing cars but they hurt their brand by trying to sell cheap versions of their really nice stuff. They need to decide if they want to be a boutique brand or a luxury brand with the likes of BWM, Lexus, and Audi. I saw a Porshe GT2 yesterday downtown and the engine sounded amazing. That car's sticker is $180,000. See pic below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=17857&stc=1&d=1263594905

The Porshe Carerra is only $80,000 - see pic below

attachment.php?attachmentid=17858&stc=1&d=1263594905

Most average people can't tell the difference. IMO, when you spend $200k for a car, you don't want people thinking you only spent $80k on it. Those are in 2 different leagues.

5aa70fa713184_1-15-20107.png.85b69428bcf869f9c68b64392a2ae2dd.png

5aa70fa71ac2c_1-15-20108.png.d5782e72d01d5532d96c0fd25cfe528d.png

The reason I define the Gran Turismo as a big bang for your buck is that you get huge status props from having a boutique car but the price on a used maserati is fairly low compared to other boutiques like a ferrari or Lambo. If you drive up in a maserati it is a much different reaction than if you drive up in a car that people are used to seeing like a corvette or bmw.

If you want the fastest car for your money, go with a Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi EVO. They don't turn many heads but they are

For the sake of rambling, Porshe makes some amazing cars but they hurt their brand by trying to sell cheap versions of their really nice stuff. They need to decide if they want to be a boutique brand or a luxury brand with the likes of BWM, Lexus, and Audi. I saw a Porshe GT2 yesterday downtown and the engine sounded amazing. That car's sticker is $180,000. See pic below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=17857&stc=1&d=1263594905

The Porshe Carerra is only $80,000 - see pic below

attachment.php?attachmentid=17858&stc=1&d=1263594905

Most average people can't tell the difference. IMO, when you spend $200k for a car, you don't want people thinking you only spent $80k on it. Those are in 2 different leagues.

U are right in the sense that the ZR1 won't get the same looks or garner the same appeal as would a Masarati, or possibly a GT2. But that's almost it.

In terms of shear performance, the ZR-1 is pretty much the nicest performing production car available, in just about EVERY category, not just the 1/4 mile. The Z06s on the other hand aren't all that stellar, but the ZR1 is an absolute beast! The only place cars liek the GT2 or Ferrari 599 might outshine the ZR1 might be in the first 60 ft(and the vette interior kinda sucks).

So for $120K, you get a car that just dog walks EVERY thing else in performance benchmarks costing over $150K.

I tend to agree with you about the Evos and the like, but they aren't in the same category as the ZR1s , GT2s etc. I say that as I'd put the ZR1 in the 'exotic' car category and the EVOs are kinda grocery getters that have no buisiness there.

I have always loved the understated elegance of the Audi A 4, 6, 8 and right now am pondering either an A8 or an SL class Mercedes.

I would look at the S8 and AMG but I have a lead foot.

The cars I like seem a little boring compared to you guys.

What I want for my next car is a certified pre-owned Range Rover Sport Supercharged (in silver).

17864d1263616794-cars-rrs.jpg

No idea about the timeframe...depends on my trading. :)

-Cory

RRS.jpg.ca162e03d8897b0f94a41a677ecb2e03.jpg

Edited by Cory2679

I have always loved the understated elegance of the Audi A 4, 6, 8 and right now am pondering either an A8 or an SL class Mercedes.

I would look at the S8 and AMG but I have a lead foot.

The cars I like seem a little boring compared to you guys.

I love Audis. You gotta have your daily driver, your weekend driver, the family car, the truck for work stuff, ..etc. We were just talking weekend drivers mostly. The headlights on the new models are so sweet. Audi makes the R8 which would be a great weekend driver. I am partial to the A8 though for a commuter car. I am not as big on Mercedes styling for some reason. If I went with Mercedes it would probably be the CLS.

A8

attachment.php?attachmentid=17866&stc=1&d=1263622757

R8

attachment.php?attachmentid=17865&stc=1&d=1263622602

5aa70fa7917bd_SNAG-1-15-201000.thumb.jpg.fe1382a41a8bc3a956f174ca82c97a33.jpg

5aa70fa7967cf_SNAG-1-15-201001.thumb.jpg.552179191f928c471598ca4d7e1b4c6c.jpg

I tend to agree with you about the Evos and the like, but they aren't in the same category as the ZR1s , GT2s etc. I say that as I'd put the ZR1 in the 'exotic' car category and the EVOs are kinda grocery getters that have no buisiness there.

I think most people would just see an old man's vet even if it were a ZR1 which is why I think Chevy/Porshe should make some changes to their higher end versions of their models or make them into a new model line. They are sweet though.

The EVOs are definitely in the "teenager cool car" category but they are amazingly fast. I don't think most people realize how fast the newer EVOs are because is looks like a regular old mitsubishi with a few body kit differences.

What I want for my next car is a certified pre-owned Range Rover Sport Supercharged (in silver).

17864d1263616794-cars-rrs.jpg

No idea about the timeframe...depends on my trading. :)

-Cory

Noooooooo!

Don't get me wrong - they are badass cars, great offroad, look great, have great "status" and the interiors are fantastic... But you can't look cool when your on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck to take your lemon back to the dealer.

Let me put it this way... on my test drive of a RRS the entire dash died - no tach, speedo, radio, nav, everything went blank. On a demo car with less than 1000 miles? The salesman just couldn't quite recover from that. And I can't say I have heard anything good from people who have owned them down the road. Which sucks because they are such a cool car - but they will END you and run away with your wallet trying to keep it on the road.

Might I suggest the Tourag (best bang for the buck secondhand IMO) or Cayenne?

Noooooooo!

Don't get me wrong - they are badass cars, great offroad, look great, have great "status" and the interiors are fantastic... But you can't look cool when your on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck to take your lemon back to the dealer.

Let me put it this way... on my test drive of a RRS the entire dash died - no tach, speedo, radio, nav, everything went blank. On a demo car with less than 1000 miles? The salesman just couldn't quite recover from that. And I can't say I have heard anything good from people who have owned them down the road. Which sucks because they are such a cool car - but they will END you and run away with your wallet trying to keep it on the road.

Might I suggest the Tourag (best bang for the buck secondhand IMO) or Cayenne?

I have to agree. Land Rover has some ongoing problems especially with their electrical system reliability. They make nice looking stuff but you will see that it depreciates very fast and that is because they break quite often.