Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

wsam29

Building a Computer System

I'm looking to build a system just for trading running off XP pro.

Here are some components I have looked at already:

Intel Pentium 4 631, 3.0 GHz, 2MB L2, 800 MHz FSB, Socket LGA775, EM64T, HT Technology (Retail Box)

Asus P5L-MX Socket 775 Intel 945G + ICH7 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR2 533/667 Intergrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 5.1 Channel Intel High Definition Audio Gigabit Lan PCI-Express Graphics Slot Support Core 2 Duo Processor Micro-ATX

Western Digital Caviar EIDE (WD800JB) 80GB ATA-100 7200RPM 8MB Buffer

ATI FireMV 2400 PCI 128MB DDR DVI PCI Graphics Adapter

here's where I have a minor problem, do I go with:

OCZ (OCZ26672048ELGEGXT-K) DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz EL Gold Edition 2GB (2X1024MB) Dual Channel Kit

or

Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 2GB Kit (2 X 1024MB) PC-5300 (KVR667D2N5K2/2G)

or

Kingmax 2GB Kit (2x1024MB) PC5300 DDR2 667MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM w/Heat Sink

My question is, do I really need dual channel ram to run Tradestation with 4 desktops?

oh just in case if you have no clue how dual channel operates, from what I read it acts like a two lane road, so data can be flow both ways at the same time, which speeds up processing.

normal ram is a like a one lane road, traffic must clear before more transferring may happen.

mainly used for gaming from what I read.

wsam - I recently got a new laptop (not for trading) but went with a Core Duo Intel processor (not Core2) and I can really tell the difference in speed and how quick things are moving now. I had a Pentium 4.

Just a suggestion. I guess it depends on how often you replace your computers, but if it's not too often, I might consider the Core Duo or Core2Duo processor.

I was doing some research regarding CPU's and how much of it Tradestaton uses.

From my observations, TS only uses the CPU on program start up, after athe desktops are opened, it uses RAM and the CPU is idle.

There really is no point spending money on a CPU that gets used infrequently and I don't do many things on my current box other than trade, surf, email.

I just might upgrade my current system since it is an Asus P5P800 board and it has many open slots to add goodies.

The ATI FireMV is a shoe in, which would bring me up to 6 monitors and an upgrade of ram to 2 GB.

Maybe add in another hard drive just to run TS since I have many old ones "lying" around.

Once Intel comes out with an even newer CPU, I may look into the Dual Core when prices are back down to earth. You only need the latest and greatest technology if you are a gamer or some sort of CAD designer or video editing.

Other than that, an Intel P4 runs TS just fine.

Its the monitors that are a big expense. about $1000 CAD for 4 and a LCD quad stand, another $400. (figures include any sales tax)

If you're building a system now you should go with a Core2Duo ... even just get the cheapest one (E6300). Also get the dual channel ram to give the two processors maximum flexibility.

P4s were never great anyway and are now pretty much obsolete (the core2 was built from the P3s design). A trader will have more than just tradestation running and even if TS is only single threaded TS will run on 1 processor while other things will run on the other.

WSAM, if its using a lot of ram something has to move the data around the ram ... and thats the processor. The e6300 is not expensive.

I built a system at Xmas with an e6600, 2G of dual 800MHz ram and all the normal stuff including widescreen monitors and had paid for it a few days later. Nothing is processor bound or ram bound now. :)

If your processor is lightly loaded by all means just improve what you've got. Be careful about mixing slow hard drives with fast ones because, when on the same cable, they'll be limited to the slower speed.