Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

The Bear

The Ice Exchange

They trade crude oil contracts right? To compete with NYMEX

Fairly new exchange, went public not too long ago.

Other than that, I don't know too much about this new Exchange.

Yeah they trade oil...as well as a number of other commodities. ICE was around since 1997 but it wasn't called ICE...they probably got some new marketing or something to invent the new name.

The exchange infrastructure is located in London UK I believe, but also in the US and maybe even other parts of europe. It's completely electronic, there's no trading floor.

This place is HOT right now, I suggest you dudes look into it and let me know what you find. Supposedly I read somewhere that 70% of US energy trading (OTC) is done on ICE. That's pretty massive volume. Their non-OTC contracts also have heavy volume. This is heavy duty stuff, and maybe the way of the future? Completely electronic exchange? No floor?

Guest cooter

Look for ICE to take over or merge with one of the Chicago Exchanges sooner rather than later. With its HQ currently in Atlanta, it'll remain a second-tier player until it moves to Chicago or Wall Street.

If you are talking about futures, ICE has been around for some time now, it's the old international petroleum exchange (England), and I wouldn't consider it a second tier player. It already does the bulk of US OTC trading, and does near equal volume as NYMEX. Considering how London is now considered by many as the financial center of the world now, ICE seems a perfect setup, away from the bulk of US regulations.....hence huge volume shifting to England.

Now is the time to strike while the irons hot.

Guest cooter

Combined CBOT and CME have 85% of futures business in the US; what percent does ICE control currently?

ICE is mainly a petroleum & natural gas exchange. CME/CBOT is a different market, so those numbers don't apply to us oil speculators.

Really what we are talking about here is NYMEX vs ICE.