Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

gaminig

forex trading indicators

I'm not a huge fan of indicators, even though alot of times you can mess around with one and find a use for it, I find that they distract me from what's happening for the most part. My setup uses a 60 period wma and a parabolic sar (just for back up s/l plotting and confirmation) on standard settings. I'd say get amongst it and find what works for you....just watch the charts, try MT4 out and go through a few years of data and see what the indicators do if you'd like to see them in action. I did, and came to realize I like my simple set up the best. Best of luck man.

which combination of indicators are best for swing trading in forex ? :)

Good day, Gaminig. The answer you seek will undoubtably vary from one person to the next. Many people like moving averages (20, 50, 100, 200, etc). Others like MACD. Others use these in combinations with other indicators (RSI, etc).

But all of the people I know who are very successful in forex KEEP IT SIMPLE. Too many indicators and you'll likely just confuse yourself. It is interesting that most people who start out in forex use lots of indicators, or try just about every indicator they can get their hands on. Yet as they mature in trading, they drop most of them and end up watching price action patterns instead (i.e. triangles, breakouts, pull-backs, continuation formations, reversal formations, etc.). Eventually, you end up with just a few major trend lines, a few horizontal support/resistance lines (such as from major fibonacci ranges), and a whole lot of respect for simple pattern setups at those important S/R zones.

Almost every swing trader I know of (with just a few exceptions) usually start out their trades as intraday trades. Once their intraday trades bust important barriers, they become swing-trades and can be managed differently than a typical intraday trade. Those who don't start out as intraday trades usually have the funds to afford much larger than normal stop-losses (> 50 to 100 pips) and can trade strictly from the larger daily time-frames. For most of us with smaller funds, this is not possible, nor perhaps wise.

By far, the most important indicator I use is price action alone in combination with the dominant (most important) support and resistance zones. Keeping it simple is the most successful strategy I have found.

Price action is watching what price does (or maybe price with volume) and judging your trades based on that. Usually without indicators or maybe support and resistance indicators like:

emas

volume profiles

market profile

lines thru significant prior highs and lows

IMO, trading is not about indicators but a "structure". A trader needs to create a structure in which to trade so the trend can be seen as well as whether price is cheap or expensive. Indicators are part of this structure. Price action can then determine entries.

Exits are a separate matter and need the structure to be able to be relevant.

Market Profile attempted to do this but is not quite precise enough for very short term trading.