Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

davewolfs

Platforms That Support Paper Trading

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a platform that is reliable and also supports paper trading (unsure if all platforms usually support paper trading). Being able to keep track of my performance record is also important.

I was considering TradeStation and MultiCharts (primarily because of EasyLanguage, but am unsure if I can paper trade with either of these platforms). I'd also consider NinjaTrader.

Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Dave

TS has a sim. I have never used it, but it's been in the builds for a couple of years now so they probably have most kinks worked out of it by now.

The TS dom / matrix is good. Easy to change, cancel, etc orders...

I have a few personal items on the wish list for the TS dom / matrix. The most important is to be able to change order types without going to a listbox drop down. I would prefer the order type list showing OR being able to 'select' order types via columns and left or right click - but that is just a preference...

TS sim mirrors the market during trading hours. TerraNova runs a continous loop of the most recent trading day. TS requires you to open an account. TerraNova will allow you to sample their platform demo mode for two weeks without opening an account.

Tradestation is by far my favorite platform. And yes, they do have paper trading, but remember it will cost $100 a month if you don't meet the minimum trade requirements.

If you are looking for something more affordable, IB has papertrading account, though their charting is worthless. Why such a major broker has such poor charting is beyond my understanding. You will need a separate charting software for it. Ninja Trade is one you can use. Think or Swim also has paper trading, and if you are into futures you can check out Open E Cry, though last I remember they charge about $25 per month for paper trading if you don't have an real account I think. These are all the ones I can think of right now.

I use TradeStation and Think or Swim. Tradestation only allow you to use their paper trading (simulator) once an account is opened. They have a platform fee, waived after minimum trade #'s are reached, and data feed fees (not waived) - so if you are only paper trading it can get expensive.

Think or Swim offers trial accounts with no fees. Some of the data feeds are delayed if you have not funded the accounts so some of the data is a little inconsistent - but it should work for you and is very quick and easy to sign up and start using - just set up an account up to the funding stage and it will be available for paper trading immediately even if you don't enter the funding bank information.

I've seen advertisements for Ninja Trader which indicate their platform is free for paper trading but you need a data feed - their ads state that they can refer you to a source for a short free trial data feed. But I haven't tried their service or platform yet.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a platform that is reliable and also supports paper trading (unsure if all platforms usually support paper trading). Being able to keep track of my performance record is also important.

I was considering TradeStation and MultiCharts (primarily because of EasyLanguage, but am unsure if I can paper trade with either of these platforms). I'd also consider NinjaTrader.

Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Dave

Dave:

I use Ninja Trader with Zen Fire feed from Mirus futures. They setup a demo account for you to trade with. The demo lasts a couple of months but I just request a new demo using a different email. They send you a new password. I love it!