Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

OAC

Really Strange Options Expiration Activities Today

Looking back, today was the strangest option expiration day that I have ever witnessed. It all started last night during globex session. At about 9pm EST usually a very quiet period, as I was looking at some long-term charts on my computer, both ES and YM started exploding upward. I thought to myself, that is indeed strange. If there was an unexpected international event, it is usually negative, but what possible positive news could there be when only the Asian markets were open? Then all night long the US index futures were having wild swings that basically led to nowhere.

Then the regular trading session opening today at 9:30 EST was the most treasurous that I have ever seen. It immediately shot up at great speed to surpass globex high only to be followed by an even more speedier collapse. Then there was more wild swings until 11am EST. By noon time the volume and the pace was back to normal. After 1pm EST, all the volume dried up for the rest of the day as if all the options expiration unwinding activities finished early. Not only that, the average volume during this period were well below that of a a normal day. Anybody has a good explanation for all this?

Guest forsearch
Looking back, today was the strangest option expiration day that I have ever witnessed. It all started last night during globex session. At about 9pm EST usually a very quiet period, as I was looking at some long-term charts on my computer, both ES and YM started exploding upward. I thought to myself, that is indeed strange?

You should have seen the huge spike DOWN on silver, almost 150 cents during that timeframe. Remember that limits were abolished on Comex metals back in 1987 (source: New York Times) thus leading to speculation there was an element of forced liquidation during the Asian session that precipitated this decline.