Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

E-mini Futures Trading Laboratory S&P, Dow, Nasdaq, Russell, Dax and more - index futures

Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

Ignore this user

How to Trade in High Volatility Market?

Hi,dear all,

I am a new trader in stock index futures. The volatility and uncertainty of price action of the index futures confused me in trend identification & position holding.

Can anyone let me know how to bear a high volatility situation and hold the positions?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 AM   #2

Ignore this user

Re: How to Trade in High Volatility Market?

It might be difficult for the beginners but for the experienced one trading in high volatile market is not a big deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to epic research For This Useful Post:
xinxinzaizai (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

Ignore this user

Thank you, and could you share more on how experienced traders deal with high volatility markets?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinxinzaizai »
Hi,dear all,

I am a new trader in stock index futures. The volatility and uncertainty of price action of the index futures confused me in trend identification & position holding.

Can anyone let me know how to bear a high volatility situation and hold the positions?
Hello,

Position-sizing is probably the answer.

If you're daytrading, then as the post above points out, volatility is your friend. You get more movement in the contract (ie possibility of profit) for exactly the same fixed costs (spread, commission). As a daytrader these costs are your main enemies, and volatility helps you to minimize them. Volatility takes you closer to the kind of movements that longer term swing traders look for, but within a much shorter time period.

In terms of "how to bear a high volatility situation and hold the position" - you need to be able to cut the position down (if it's causing you problems). This means taking some contracts off.

Hope that helps.

BlueHorseshoe
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueHorseshoe For This Useful Post:
xinxinzaizai (01-07-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 03:30 AM   #5

Ignore this user

You need to have a plan laid out before hand which states how you're doing to deal with the volatility. The problem for new guys is that volatility gets them emotional, and that's when you will have poor judgement in the heat of the situation.

If you plan for volatility before the day starts and lay out a process of how you will deal with it then you'll be ok

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: