Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

retrace

Picking Tops and Bottoms Help

Hey I need some help from all you traders.

I went to a website called wallstreetwebinar

They have what looks to be a really good market timing indicator.

One of the charts on the site actually shows the indicator and I was hoping that

we as a group could reverse engineer the indicator.

The great thing is that the indicator is from Stockcharts.com so it should not be

to hard to figure it out.

My only thought at this time is that the indicator is actually following the VIX index

and not the S&P .

Any help would be great.

Retrace

Long-term-12-31-2009.png.cb081e8126c1feed5adf1974dc9bde1c.png

One of the charts on the site actually shows the indicator and I was hoping that

The great thing is that the indicator is from Stockcharts.com so it should not be

My only thought at this time is that the indicator is actually following the VIX index

and not the S&P .

Any help would be great.

Retrace

You’re asking us too much, we are only traders not engineers

and not the S&P .

Any help would be great.

Retrace

It wouldn't be for sale if it was worth the time to reverse engineer it.

and not the S&P .

Any help would be great.

Retrace

if you can pick the top and bottom, you have a unlimited bank machine.

why bother going through all the trouble to set up a website and conduct webinars?

so that you can deal with greedy noobs who are broke and wants everything but do not want to pay for anything? LOL

yes, I am talking about you. yes you... who is a noob and broke and do not have any money and wants everything but do not want to pay for anything by reverse engineer whatever fruits of labor others have to offer.

I can tell you, because I have first hand knowledge, when people post a chart, they don't show you everything for free. They would erase some pertinent info, hide some key points, or move data around to confuse you. You would be wasting your time trying to reverse engineer some impossible task.

ps. most vendor would cherry pick ONE section of the chart that WORKS, and post it for you to drool on. If you apply the same indicator to one month's worth of data, you might find 10 false signal for every 2 good ones. LOL. but most people would dwell on the good section of the chart and blind to the bad signals... we see what we want to see. Enjoy.

It could be reversed engineered. But like the comments said, picking a top or a bottom of a market is very difficult and its likely to be a marketing ploy any way.

Why so harsh on the new guys, its a fair question.

I would suggest lots of study and reading and start to develop your own ideas about the market, price action, etc, you never really trade the market.. you trade your ideas about the market.

and not the S&P .

Any help would be great.

Retrace

Notice the date on the chart is March 2009, during the one of most volitile times in history, when the market bottomed. This chart is defintely cherry picked. It doesn't show how it is working under current market conditions. I doubt the indicator works well in periods of low volatility. Just wait for the next big crash then try to catch the upside rebound (assuming there will even be one this time round). The timing is so slow it might be useful to an investor but an active trader wont wait years between trades. If I had to guess, I'd say it might be a variation of money flow on a slow time frame. Unless the vendor is willing to show all the history performance prior to a couple months ago I wouldn't spend any more time pondering its effectiveness.

....... would cherry pick ONE section of the chart that WORKS, and post it for you to drool on. If you apply the same indicator to one month's worth of data, you might find 10 false signal for every 2 good ones. LOL. but most people would dwell on the good section of the chart and blind to the bad signals... we see what we want to see.
So true, especially your last line.