Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

FXTrader25

Turtle Trading

Hi!

I started a few months ago with the legendary turtle trading strategy.

A strategy based on the story of Richard Denis and his philosophy of trading.

Do you also know this strategy?! Let me know about your experiences!!

My actually performance with this strategy is YTD + 8.6%.

Cheers

FXTrader

Which instruments are you trading? It seems to me that the trading environment has changed a lot since those days where everyone could trade along these nice trends. In the interview of Richard Dennis in Market Wizards it all sounds so effortless.

Absolutely. Dennis went out of business after losing half the capital he had under management.

Which instruments are you trading? It seems to me that the trading environment has changed a lot since those days where everyone could trade along these nice trends. In the interview of Richard Dennis in Market Wizards it all sounds so effortless.

You have to discover what works for you. Yes, elements of this style of trading work and they work for me on the types of stocks I trade. But nothing in the market is ever easy -- and it wasn't easy to follow trends back then either. Traders don't like to sit. Rising gains make them nervous. Closing for small losses makes them mad. It takes years to learn how to be okay being uncomfortable when there is capital at risk.

The best thing you can do is read about all of the master traders and find out which parts of their methods help your own trading and put together your own Franken-Method. :-)

But yes -- stocks still trend. Look at TSLA. Great trend. But you will have to suffer through a lot of small losers to find those. In fact 60-70% of your trades will be small losers when you're trend trading. It takes a certain type of trader to be okay with that. Would you be okay winning only 3 out of 10 times. provided you could actually let your winners run when you have one.

Most can't. They do the opposite. They close out their winners for +5% and +10% and they let their losers run to -30% and -50% hoping they'll come back. It's tough out there!

Good luck to you.

I am also looking for the same information. I heard about this type of trading but don't know about that.

One of the Turtles - Curtis Faith - wrote a very good book describing the methodology and the issues surrounding it. I would definitely recommend this (much better than the Covel books on the subject!).

Regards,

BlueHorseshoe

Guest epic research

Slowly steady wins the race,turtle trading is consider like this only.Trade only when required.

I examined the method years ago. My thought is that it gives off too many false signals. So you need some way to optimize it. Although, this is my complaint about any system that relies solely on break outs of congestion (Or 20 day tight channels as in this case)

THE RISK OF LOSS IN TRADING COMMODITIES CAN BE SUBSTANTIAL.

THE HIGH DEGREE OF LEVERAGE THAT IS OFTEN ATTAINABLE IN COMMODITY TRADING CAN WORK FOR YOU, AS WELL AS AGAINST YOU.

PAST PERFORMANCE IS NOT NECESSARILY INDICATIVE OF FUTURE RESULTS

Edited by SpearPointTrader

Turtle trading is a well known trend following strategy that was originally taught by Richard Dennis. The basic strategy is to buy futures on a 20-day high (breakout) and sell on a 20-day low, although the full set of rules is more intricate.