Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

stinkystank

Creating a ThinkOrSwim Scan

I am looking for some direction on how to go about creating the following:

1. What Amibroker calls an "exploration". This is basically an EOD scan that looks for various criteria.

2. How to scan stocks real-time for various conditions (i.e. oversold full stochastics cross)

One of my strats is to look for stocks in well-defined daily trends (21 EMA > 50 EMA > 200 or perhaps 21 EMA < 50 EMA < 200) and then watch them on the 60 minute or 15 minute looking for overbought/oversold full stochastics.

I was hoping to automate both procedures with TOS and perhaps even combine them for real-time use during the day.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Edited by stinkystank

TOS has at least three environments that I know about for creating scan-type results and I'm relatively new to the platform.

The most primitive can be found on the Scan tab. Look at the StockHacker and SpreadHacker for some ideas on what it can do.

The second environment is ThinkScript mentioned above. I'm not very familiar with its complete capability.

The most fascinating environment is the Prodigio application. It's appeal is a graphical environment to create your rules. This environment contains a great variety of studies including the ones you mention. You can set it up to notify you or robot trade for you when your criteria are met. I watched a demo of creating a Bollinger Band squeeze strategy and was blown away. If it's not on your sub-menu bar when the Trade menu is active, a quick not to TOS will get them to enable it for you.

Others more familiar with TOS may know additional capabilities to achieve your goals.