Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

klee310

Programming/Algo Trading

Hi all,

I am new on to this forum - so first, my apologies if i'm breaking any forum-rules and what-not... and no, I have not tried search function on this forum to look for posts related to my question... so here goes...

I am primarily a software engineer, but with particular interest in finance. Currently, I am working on a project which requires the development of an OMS as well as an Algo-Engine, and also a Programming Trade Language (ie. EasyLanguage)

However, to my understanding, EasyLanguage is a proprietary scripting language of TT.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to EasyLanguage, such as open-source scripting language - that are publicly supported; however with the same level of public acceptance. Clearly, I will eventually have my trading-engine support EasyLanguage, but for the time being - I am not sure if, by using EasyLanguage as a base-language, will I be violating any rules specified by TT.

Furthermore, I understand many people already use TT's EL, so it would be advantageous for me to simply implement this language. I am simply searching for alternatives and weighing the options prior to committing resources towards this end.

Thanks in advance,

Kel :)

Trading Technologies... owners of EasyLanguage and the product a TradeStation :)

you've confused that with TradeStation Securities, Inc.

Exactly what I was afraid of... a lawsuit for my company...

so.. are there any alternatives to EasyLanguage - that is also accepted/ used by many traders for programming trade?

... such as TSolution's MultiChart (which uses PowerLanguage) - but this is also proprietary...

I'm looking for something not-proprietary... in a sense, very much like how the FIX Protocol works...

.. anyone?

Edited by klee310

Exactly what I was afraid of... a lawsuit for my company...

so.. are there any alternatives to EasyLanguage - that is also accepted/ used by many traders for programming trade?

... such as TSolution's MultiChart (which uses PowerLanguage) - but this is also proprietary...

I'm looking for something not-proprietary... in a sense, very much like how the FIX Protocol works...

.. anyone?

calm down...

what SIUYA said was the DOM that's patterned.

Programming language cannot be patterned.

However,

programming code can be patterned.

calm down...

what SIUYA said was the DOM that's patterned.

Programming language cannot be patterned.

However,

programming code can be patterned.

... Great, which means I can have my programming-engine accept EasyLanguage (script) and execute orders based on parameters specified by an (EasyLanguage) script?

At the moment, I am weighing my options between EasyLanguage and F#... do you think F# would be a difficult language for traders to learn? :newbie:

... Great, which means I can have my programming-engine accept EasyLanguage (script) and execute orders based on parameters specified by an (EasyLanguage) script?

At the moment, I am weighing my options between EasyLanguage and F#... do you think F# would be a difficult language for traders to learn? :newbie:

If you have taken a programming course in HS or Uni or College,

you will have no problem learning anything.

Otherwise stick with EasyLanguage.

but then, traders trade, nobody is interested in learning to program in a strange language... unless they have to.

Look around the web...

how many EasyLanguage script do you see?

how many F# script do you see?

I would go with the winner.

Edited by Tams

As far as languages go, to a degree, programming any of the popular charting software/data service are adapted to serve traders and trading so it's relatively straight forward and easy.

Esignal uses JavaScripts, Tradestation uses their proprietary EasyLanguage, Sierra I believe uses C++ and Ninja uses C++ or C# or something along those lines. There are also WebLabs(?), Metatrader etc.

Now, let me qualify that I'm not a programmer, I'm all home grown and am a trader first so I can't address the specifics of why one language is more advantageous over another however a compiled language like the one used by Ninja or Sierra would seem to be more efficient, at least logically. Also the language is more ubiquitous so your knowledge is more easily transferable should you decide to integrate with something standalone that'll work with the charting package. For me, I'm very sensitive to efficiency since I'm a day-trader and speed is often critical especially when the market is moving fast. Of course the programmer has to code for efficiency in any language but natively, and a more knowledgeable person of the field can better answer this, but natively compiled language ought to be faster than an interpreted one.

Ninja seems to be fast becoming platform of choice. It is robust and yet easy enough to be picked up for most everyday trader oriented stuff. I started with ELS when Tradestation was a just charting platform (2000i) and moved on to Esignal JavaScripts. I recently dabbled with Ninja and I felt it was relatively straight forward; as one trader on their forum said, it's a steeper learning curve but if you can learn to program in Ninja you can probably program it do anything, even make breakfast. :)

Also automation is fast becoming a necessary part of any trading platform/chart ware - just due to popularity, if nothing else, so most of them have ways to integrate their chart ware to auto execute trades through various brokers or at least have facilities to do so. Again, it is done with traders in mind so it's just an extension of their language.

Anyway, one trader's limited experience of the more popular programming languages FWIW.

Good Luck!