Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Эри&#108

Open E Cry Easylanguage Coding

Ok so I know what I want to do, but I just don't know how to get the data to plot...

I basically want to create an indicator based upon another indicators levels but I only want the new indicator to plot a value under certain conditions.

Let's say I have a custom indicator (but let's use RSI as an example).

I want this new indicator to first check if a certain level (let's say 80) has been crossed (to the upside) and then checks when that level is crossed again(to the downside). Once that level has been crossed again that's when I want it to set off a value of 1.

I'd want to do this for the opposite side too, e.g. once 30 is crossed check if it's crossed again then plot -1, but I can figure out how to do that once I see the basic coding for checking just one way.

I'm pretty sure I'd be using an 'if then' function with condition 1 but I'm not sure how to structure it, particularly the condition part...

I know how to use the plot function so I really just need to see the structure of an if then for this case.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ok so I know what I want to do' date=' but I just don't know how to get the data to plot...

I basically want to create an indicator based upon another indicators levels but I only want the new indicator to plot a value under certain conditions.

Let's say I have a custom indicator (but let's use RSI as an example).

I want this new indicator to first check if a certain level (let's say 80) has been crossed (to the upside) and then checks when that level is crossed again(to the downside). Once that level has been crossed again that's when I want it to set off a value of 1.

I'd want to do this for the opposite side too, e.g. once 30 is crossed check if it's crossed again then plot -1, but I can figure out how to do that once I see the basic coding for checking just one way.

I'm pretty sure I'd be using an 'if then' function with condition 1 but I'm not sure how to structure it, particularly the condition part...

I know how to use the plot function so I really just need to see the structure of an if then for this case.

Any help would be much appreciated.[/size']

you just have to write out your logic STEP-BY-STEP.

ie. in sentences instead of paragraph.

Ok thank you very much, I figured out the structuring now but I'm getting an error while compiling.

C# translation error: No overload for method 'SIH' takes '1' arguments.

I'm guessing the trouble is with the custom indicator itself and not the new one I'm making it off of, would you think that to be the case?

This is the code. Ideally I'll put in something like nextbar but for now I just want the basic part to get working. If I can.

if SIH > 0.88 then
if SIH < 0.88 then

Plot4(1, "Sell");

Ok got it figured out. Thank you.

Had a problem with it using negative values to plot so I just put in the math for the buy indicator and it worked.

if SIH crosses below 0.88 then

plot4(1, "Sell");

if SIH crosses above (0.88-1.76) then

plot5(1-2, "Buy");

The case you described can be simplifed to .. if myVariable crosses below 80 then plot1 or whatever else you might want to do. This is true because your var can't cross below 80 without having previously crossed above 80, except during a brief initialization best handled via another logic gate that wraps everything.

If your true requirements are compounded in ways you've not mentioned you need to declare a variable that serves the function of a state machine. For instance

if event1 then state1=1;

if event2 then state1=2;

if event3 then state1=3;

Changes to state1 do not have to be linear. Any event can reset state1 to zero, or alternately increase or decrease it for instance:

if event5 then state1=state1+9;

Multiple different states can be tracked by declaring multiple state vars such as state2. It is imporant to understand the specifics of the secret logic you're trying to implement before it's possible to determine the best answer to your question. You should practice distinguishing the differences between an event and a state.

The case you described can be simplifed to .. if myVariable crosses below 80 then plot1 or whatever else you might want to do. This is true because your var can't cross below 80 without having previously crossed above 80, except during a brief initialization best handled via another logic gate that wraps everything.

If your true requirements are compounded in ways you've not mentioned you need to declare a variable that serves the function of a state machine. For instance

if event1 then state1=1;

if event2 then state1=2;

if event3 then state1=3;

Changes to state1 do not have to be linear. Any event can reset state1 to zero, or alternately increase or decrease it for instance:

if event5 then state1=state1+9;

Multiple different states can be tracked by declaring multiple state vars such as state2. It is imporant to understand the specifics of the secret logic you're trying to implement before it's possible to determine the best answer to your question. You should practice distinguishing the differences between an event and a state.

What I'm using is a simple oscillator (Inverse Fisher with some math added as well as weight to make it 'sticky').

I'm just checking if that oscillator crosses a value and plotting signals if it does. So I believe I'm just using event signals, correct? The program doesn't know if the oscillator has crossed the sell line previously. It only looks to see what is happening now.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the difference though as I'm sure it will help me with more complex programs that rely on a trigger to initiate more triggers etc.

In the first example you gave the value being crossed was 80 for both the buy and sell thresholds so that case might be different than your current case. In the first case if myVar crosses below 80 then it must have previously been above 80, so in that case it is unnecessary to determine if it crossed above 80 before crossing below 80.

If your current case uses more than one threshold, for instance positive and negative 80. The specific circumstances of which thresholds must be crossed will determine if you need to track multiple events. If your requirements are that 2 events are necessary then this combination becomes a complex event which is commonly tracked by state variables. There's nothing wrong with thinking of them as complex or compound event vars if that makes it easier to visualize, but events normally define relatively simple conditions.

A state is different from an event in that on the bar where the state becomes true it's not easy or efficient to look back at previous bars to determine if all the conditions were met. So a state var tracks the events as they occur and sometimes the events combine over time in a way that satisfies the requirements of the state.

I want this new indicator to first check if a certain level (let's say 80) has been crossed (to the upside) and then checks when that level is crossed again(to the downside).

You're absolutely right. I explained what I wanted to do incorrectly.

What I meant to say in my first post was

if indicator crosses below 80 then sell;

if indicator crosses above -80 then buy

sorry for the confusion. Since it was near midnight and I had been up for nearly 20 hours that might have had something to do with me incorrectly stating what I wanted to do. :doh: