Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

enochbenjamin

Tweezers & Shooting Stars

My bread and butter trades are scalps of shooting stars and tweezer tops into some sort of resistance.

Ideally one of the two candle formations will occur after a nice price move up to resistance. Today there was a $1 move up in oil that gave a nice shooting star in to resistance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=18430&stc=1&d=1264630340

If I am on top of my game I will short 3 contracts with a 5 tick SL. I will take the first off at 8 ticks, the second at 13 ticks and the third off for 21 ticks. In crude oil (CL) my main vehicle thats $150 risked for $420 in profit. I almost always get the 8 ticks so even if I get stopped out before hitting my next two targets it is only a loss of $20. Very low risk trades.

The beauty of oil is that there are 3-4 opportunities to take this type of trade almost every day.

I define resistance as any level where price will pause and give you a bounce. In crude oil it is rare for price to just blast thru these levels. Usually price will approximate the level and quickly bounce. Then it may test the level again, completely retreat or blast thru. I am only interested in the initial bounce and tweezers or a shooting star into any resistance level give me the confidence to take this trade.

Please feel free to comment and/or share how you utilize tweezers and shooting stars.

EJ - can you explain how you enter b/c I'm not sure how your entry level is identified on that chart. Are you anticipating the candle pattern to form or do you wait for some sort of confirmation?

Thanks.

It is a little easier for me to enter with a shooting star. I already know and am watching the Resistance levels. In the above example the pivot was 7489 and the second standard deviation was just a few ticks away providing a resistance zone (for me). So as soon as I see the price retreating and the shooting star forming i will enter. I enter before I get confirmation as to keep my stops as tight as possible. In the first chart I posted you will see my stop was 7 ticks and not my standard 5 - that was because I did not catch it fast enough to have my stop above the star.

If you want confirmation you could wait to enter below the close of the shooting star candle. This increases the amount you have to risk and is much harder with tweezers.

If there is a confluence of resistance levels (R1, 2nd SD, 00, yesterdays high) at/near the same price I have been known to set a limit with a wider stop to account for an overshoot. Then once the overshoot does or does not occur I quickly reduce the stop to 5 ticks and let the chips fall.

Just wanted to point out that all of my examples will be shorts at resistance. I am a directional trader who firmly believes that deliverable commodities have built in selling pressure so no matter how bullish the markets become there will be ample selling at almost every level.

Also for some reason support levels are more "grey" than resistance levels so my tight stops do not work as well at support. I would love to hear from others so I can learn if this is a bias I have or if there is some consensus on the issue.

EJ - do you have an EL code you can post for the vwap bands?

Unfortunately i do not. I discovered VWAP here in the Jperl threads. You might find code over there.

i use x_trader and vwap is a standard feature. please note that all vwaps are not created equal. I have tried it in several software apps and found only three to be accurate: X_trader, Ensign Windows and Investor R/T.

To be 100% honest I do not really understand how SD works - all I know is that after observing it for over a year price rarely goes much further than the 2nd SD. Since trading is a probabilities game knowing that the 2nd SD is a price extreme gives me a little edge. Add a significant resistance level and vavoom! (felix the cat)

Now if I could only be so disciplined to only take those high probability trades :doh:

EJ - do you have an EL code you can post for the vwap bands?

Nothing to do with trading - but where did u get EJ from? I have never been called EJ before. My first name is Enoch and my middle name is Benjamin. Just curious???

Nothing to do with trading - but where did u get EJ from? I have never been called EJ before. My first name is Enoch and my middle name is Benjamin. Just curious???

I guess EB would be more appropriate. I just grabbed the E and the J I saw in your name. Easier than typing the full thing out. ;)

..... ..... can you elaborate?

I really dont know what the intend of the person who coded those bands is/was, maybe for their use that code works fine.

That said if the intend is to have the bands above/below the VWAP by x SD then it is not accurate. See the screen shot below. The VWAP is accurate but the bands are not accurate, they dont line up.

Regards,

zunaa

5aa70fc758900_WVAPBands.thumb.PNG.d9262762585b6a14b8b860fc3fad9d3b.PNG

I really dont know what the intend of the person who coded those bands is/was, maybe for their use that code works fine.

From what I seem to recall, the intent by the programmer was to have the tool match what Jperl was demonstrating in the Market Statistics thread as close as possible. Comparisons were made to other implementations and it most closely matched the Ensign ESPL code used in the Market Stats thread.

What are you comparing in your screen shot?

From what I seem to recall, the intent by the programmer was to have the tool match what Jperl was demonstrating in the Market Statistics thread as close as possible. Comparisons were made to other implementations and it most closely matched the Ensign ESPL code used in the Market Stats thread.?

Fair enough, I was not aware of this fact. My comments were made in reference to someone asking about VWAP Bands in post that was not involving Jp work.

Im not familiar with jprl work, All though I know of a trader with that handle that used to log in a trading room which I participated in. from what I recall, he posted charts with somehting similar to VWAP and some SD bands. Yet I dont know him personally i.e. My focus was Price Action with a concentration on volatility and him being very focused on Statistics, our style of trading was very different so we didnt really have much in common to talk about. I guess The only thing we did have in common was Voltility. Thats as much I know of him.

What are you comparing in your screen shot?

The screen shot shows the ELD you referenced over my VWAP and (3) SD Bands. This why I said that ELD is inaccurate... That is if ones intent is to project SD bands from VWAP.

Regards,

Zunaa

The screen shot shows the ELD you referenced over my VWAP and (3) SD Bands. This why I said that ELD is inaccurate... That is if ones intent is to project SD bands from VWAP.

How do you know that yours are correct and not maybe the other one with yours having the incorrect SD Bands?

attachment.php?attachmentid=19215&stc=1&d=1265998573

What are you basing your S/R levels on? Just wondering if these are major levels (ie. daily monthly) or just intraday levels? Earlier you mentioned you use VWAP intraday as well, correct?

What are you basing your S/R levels on? Just wondering if these are major levels (ie. daily monthly) or just intraday levels? Earlier you mentioned you use VWAP intraday as well, correct?

I use VWAP + pivot points. The green line was S1 which because price was below acted as resistance.