Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ziebarf

Support, Resistance, Stochastics, and EMA: A Study

Forward:

First of all, this doesn't completely involve candlesticks, but they could easily be incorporated into the method. This forum seemed to be the best place for me to post this study, if not please feel free to move it/delete and I apologize for the inconvenience. For a little background on me: In my trading I have been a student of support/resistance and volume with an emphasis on trading naked. I am still new to this (been at it for around a year). My biggest issue with trading by support and resistance was finding confirmation for my trades. Price patterns and volume divergence seem to work well, but I am curious for more. A few days ago I started playing with some of the classic indicators and think I might have stumbled upon something.

In this thread I will try and document some of my findings and hopefully spark some discussion. First of all, the strategy relies heavily still on the use of support and resistance. I find these levels by looking for ranges and natural swing points on a larger timeframe (thank you Dbpheonix for shedding the light on AMT) ala the last chart attached.

Findings:

When price arrives at one of these levels, I am looking for the stochastics to be in either the overbought or oversold areas. After that I watch to see how the stochs behave. If they ramp off to the other extreme, it might indicate there are sellers/buyers at these levels (best explained by the chart case3). On following tests the stochs should appear the thin out and not break into the extreme levels as much (this however is not always the case but the ideal situation). This again is best explained through the charts as it is difficult to describe without visual reference. It should be noted that I am only watching the stochastics at and around the levels of support and resistance.

The EMA is used to help filter out trades (specifically breakouts) and even offers potential entries after the reversal or breakout has occured. Breakouts are tricky really, but ideally the stochastics will remain at the extreme level in the direction of the breakout and price will be closing well above/below the EMA.

Entries and stops are the tricky part and everyone has different rules, case4 illustrates how one could potentially enter a trade. Again, I am just trying to record my adventures with stochastics and none of this should be taken as an absolute. We all know that in trading, nothing works every time.

case1.thumb.jpg.e105ae977484b9c42f1674e1874998d7.jpg

case2.thumb.jpg.81a8c86dbeafd62158710ba4090b484d.jpg

case3.thumb.jpg.1a9882e53d004a405496d871fea56794.jpg

case4.thumb.jpg.9ad0774bb770a246c13338ace610d842.jpg

LEVELS.thumb.jpg.5e5cdadb2604c76a61ad9236b2496bb5.jpg

Edited by ziebarf

Re-reading my post, my thoughts were a little convoluted. Essentially I am trying to measure the strength of support and resistance with

Today had some great action, I switched the charts to candles to make it a little more fitting with this forum. I also changed from a twenty period EMA to an 8 period EMA. Ideally I would like to enter on a rejection of a support or resistance level when the EMA switches side of price. This is better illustrated in the chart I have attached.

Attached is two things, the current trade I am in, and the S/R levels I will be hunting for. I have noticed there is some discrepancy in the way renko bars and candles print the stochastics, so I have decided to stick to candles for now. Reasons for the trade are annotated on the chart.

todaystrade.thumb.jpg.08daee38e73ddd7ab67cbd0144140e97.jpg

today.thumb.jpg.60f81821e6313b2dce1285c87ac248a2.jpg