Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Investor RT Platform Review

Hi all,

I left esignal recently due to an IP problem. I have now switched to Investor RT provided by Linnsoft. I must say I am surprisingly pleased with the superior charting platform. Comes default with auto pivots, auto mp levels, volume delta, etc... and literally tons of indicators.

I am also using market profile with them and is very flexible painting pretty mp charts. Using IQFeed the cost is about 30% lower than what I was paying to esignal. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a new charting platform. I have posted some charts below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4927&stc=1&d=1201541982

attachment.php?attachmentid=4928&stc=1&d=1201541982

5aa70e36997de_investorrtchart1.thumb.jpg.bb51ca8eacad209d9e08782410bfa478.jpg

5aa70e36a03b5_investorrtchart2.thumb.jpg.acd1ebfd9514169d5656ab110ba8aea2.jpg

Yep, they have tick charts going back to 1.5 years or something. The cost is dependent on the package (I use the most expensive package) but for basic charting platform with market profile and with CME, NYSE, and CBOT datafeed should cost under $200.

Been using TS for quite some time previously so never really got a chance to experiment with other charting platforms. I am very satisfied from what I can see so far.

I didn't see anything on forex quotes is the other reason I'm putting RT back for now. thanks, James.

How's the CPU consumption and the quotes so far? And Level 2 and T&S. 1.5 years is very nice!

Hi James, I have been using Investor R/T for about 4 months now. Extremely happy.

I use the basic package plus the MP/VB add-on.

Reliability is 100%, charting is excellent.

But the thing that most impresses me is the support. I can work out most things but if I have a problem I do not want it interfering with my trading hours. There are at least two modes of support, one is to contact the firm directly, which I have done, and have got speedy, professional responses each time. The second mode of support is a Yahoo User's group. Get this, I asked a question on the Yahoo group on a weekend and got a response from Chad Payne, just a few hours later - on a Sunday! That's great support.

Is there room for improvement in the product? Yes, there is. My broker data feed integrates with many software packages, but not I R/T - I have requested this integration and will see how it goes. I currently feed it eSignal but broker integration would be fantastic.

Yep, Chad is a great guy to work with. Fast support, I must of exchanged emails over 10 times yesterday just to get me setup.

IIm using the pro package so need to spend some time learning the language for me to backtest. Btw... how big is the Yahoo Group they have?

There are differences between MP and the 'Price Histogram' used instead by Ensign - would it be worthwhile discussing the differences here with a view to ascertaining how significant these differences are?

From the Ensign website:

"The histogram on the left side of the chart is drawn during the day in five-minute increments. The length of each horizontal line in the histogram represents the amount of time that the market spent at that corresponding price. "

So, instead of letters to signify each 5-minutes/half-hour (or whatever time increment being used) we have a horizontal line summing the TPOs (the link above will take you to an example of an Ensign Price Histogram chart).

How does this effect the use of MP?

Does it change the calculations for POC, VAH, VAL? (I think the answer to all 3 is no).

How else does it cause differences to MP?

Is it a better display than MP?

I am not deeply knowledgeable of MP, so I ask these questions of those who are more knowledgeable than me. This is not an academic exercise either, to me Ensign is a strong competitor to other charting packages, the information and knowledge we gain here will be useful to those considering Ensign as their charting package.

Actually, I will start this in a new thread, here.

Edited by mister ed

If given enough time, I may just ending up coding one on Ensign myself if I can't find one that's already done. We'll see how time permits but from the books read, I don't think it would be different. Just need to learn the software and programming syntax first.

Excellent idea, mr. ed.

While I'm not familiar with Ensigns Price Histogram feature and how it's computed, I can provide some information on Investor/RT's Market Profile related functionality. I recently posted on this subject in the Investor/RT Workshop and will paste what was posted below.

Investor/RT Market Profile Related Functionality

Investor/RT offers flexible CME-licensed Market Profile charts. For more information and videos on the Investor/RT Market Profile charts, visit:

http://www.linnsoft.com/futures/tpo/index.htm

In addition to the standalone Market Profile charts, Investor/RT offers two unique Market Profile-related technical indicators that can be added to traditional bar/candle charts: TPO Indicator and Price/Time Profile Indicator.

The TPO Indicator allows the user to transfer Market Profile information easily to a traditional bar/candle chart. It allows the user to plot the developing Value Areas and POC on a chart of any periodicity (1-minute, rangebars, etc). This chart provides a good demonstration of what can be accomplished with the TPO indicator:

http://www.charthub.com/images/2008/01/30/Market_Profile_Levels.png

Notice the light gray lines in the top pane showing how the value area developed through the day, minute by minute. The gold lines show the IB and IB multiples. The gold histogram in the bottom pane plots the developing TPO counts. The TPO token in the RTL language gives the user access to key MP data such as IB Highs and Lows, IB multiples, TPO counts (above and below POC, and both with and without singles), and much more. For more information on the TPO indicator (and video demo), visit:

http://www.linnsoft.com/tour/techind/tpo.htm

The Price/Time Profile indicator allows the user to plot profiles within traditional charts, based on either price or volume. The duration of each profile by default is one day/session, but can be customized to any number of minutes or days. The Profile Indicator also clearly plots the Valua Areas and POC. For more information on the Profile indicator, visit:

http://www.linnsoft.com/tour/techind/profile.htm

If you have any questions on these features, or would like to see specific examples combining an instrument of your choice with a periodicity and chart settings, let me know.

Another point I should mention about Investor R/T is my experience with the high frequency of updates to the software. Updates provide fixes to bugs but probably just as importantly add requested and spontaneous improvements to the software - it is like there is a 'constant improvement' policy. Improvements are normally incremental, but they build on each other and add functionality/ease of use. Actually upgrading is simple, almost a one-click operation.

Investor/RT does provide several methods for displaying delta alongside Market Profile.

On the following Market Profile chart, look in the InfoBox to the left. As you move your cursor over any profile/tpo, you'll get feedback on a number of levels (profile feedback, bracket feedback, price feedback, tpo feedback). Included in that information is the delta of the profile, delta of that price, delta of that bracket, and delta of that one tpo.

Images | ChartHub.com

MarketProfile_2.png

In the bar chart below, the TPO Indicator has been overlaid to provide the developing value and and point of control, along with the IB and IB multiples. The Volume Breakdown indicator is show in the second pane to give the per/bar delta. VB can also be setup to accumulate the delta of the day and draw it in bar form. (Third pane shows TPO counts).

Images | ChartHub.com

Market_Profile_Levels.png

Has anyone used the live support from Investor R/T? I was building a chart that I couldn't get right (the stumbling block was allocating data to a variable and then creating that variable as a custom instrument) and emailed tech support there. They advised me how to do it, but when I still couldn't, offered to access my computer remotely and build the chart for me.

Once in it took all of two minutes or less - amazing to watch on the screen in front of me ... then follow up email to make sure I was happy etc. Impressive stuff.

Just came across this thread and wanted to add my comments about IRT.

I use MP primarily and cannot emphasize what a great product IRT has created with their MP in that there are so many variables available one has the opportunity to tailor a truly individual MP (just for your own requirements). Their basic charting is also comprehensive offering ticks bars in addition to the usual timing charts and numerous indicators including volume based indicators.

Their support is excellent: I also had speedy replies to email queries on a Sunday and the pricing is about right for what they are offeriing.

They also do not rest on their laurels and update/introduce indicators regularly.

I can highly commend the software.

And no, I do not work for them or have any affiliation to them :-)

Hello Everyone,

Here is my comments about Investor RT platform.

I have been an Ensign user for the last 12 months, at the start the software was great but soon ran into problems, as you get more proficient with the software you soon find out that you have outgrown it, mostly because of software limitations in relation to user expectations.

That is when I decided to try Investor RT. I have chosen the Interactive Brokers with DTN data back fill option, it worked out around $30 more per month. I had asked Chad to help me set up the software he did it promptly and efficiently. I would have to say that I was quite a demanding customer and I had a lot of questions and queries. Not only did he get back to me answering all my questions but did so over the weekend.

The software has a lot more features and is very versatile, the quality of the charts are much more better and clearer.

I must say I am very impressed with this piece of software and highly recommend it to any serious traders out there.

Regards

Simon