Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Brokers and Data Feeds Discuss brokers and data feeds here - forex, futures, stock, options

Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Ignore this user

Filtered Data Vs. Unfiltered Data

Most traders who use Trade Station as their trading platform know that trade station filtered their tick data to my surprise I found out today that this fault can be correcting if you take the following steps from your platform go to

1. File 2.preferences 3.Trade Station network 4. Streaming data optimization 5. Change the scale from standard to none
Voila you have unfiltered data.

I asked Mr. Stanley Dash why is it that Trade Station use filtered data to begin with he followed with the answer: “ Trade Station has many customers who trade different stocks sometimes one person look at 100 stock at one time and if that person get unfiltered data than his/her computer might freeze”

that make sense to me but I use my platform to trade the SP Emini and I look only at a couple of symbols His answer: “filtered data should not affect your trading since our platform is intelligent to know when you use the tick symbol you’re getting all numbers of tick traded at that price and the same is true for volume contact traded”

I don’t buy the above answer from him and I invite any person who knows more about the subject to shed more light on it, for instance I would like to hear from CQG customers who had prior experience with filtered data to tell me the difference it makes in their trading
The Following User Says Thank You to khamore1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #2

Ignore this user

Re: Filtered Data Vs. Unfiltered Data

I use CQG data and they don't filter the data as you describe.
The Following User Says Thank You to xioxxio For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by xioxxio »
I use CQG data and they don't filter the data as you describe.
Sorry I misspelled my intention with my prior question, what I want to ask is if any current user of CQG who had a different data provider prior to that sees any difference in their trading result. in essence I would like to know if unfiltered data helps with trading or if it worth the money spent on it

Last edited by khamore1; 06-03-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #4

Ignore this user

I have compared Bloomberg, CQG, TT an interactive brokers.

Bloomberg and CQG are very close. There are times when Bloomberg is faster than CQG and visa versa. TT comes a close 3rd. IB is not even worth mentioning.

HTH
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #5

Ignore this user

Did you find any advantage(s) or improvement in your trading by using CQG? I understand it cost at least $100 more than other data providers who filters their data.

Do you think the average Joe who trades the Sp Emini should get this service?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamore1 »
Did you find any advantage(s) or improvement in your trading by using CQG? I understand it cost at least $100 more than other data providers who filters their data.

Do you think the average Joe who trades the Sp Emini should get this service?
That is a tough question, it all depends on your style of trading and whether you are a passive or aggressive trader. Are you a full time trader or part time trader?

My personal view; if you cannot make up the extra $100, you should not be trading. Trading is a business.

Even if you are trading 1 contract, $100 is 2pts; 2pts per month in the scheme of things is irrelevant.

The single most important part of trading is data besides your edge.

What are you currently using?
The Following User Says Thank You to xioxxio For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #7

Ignore this user

We are going around and don’t answer each other question my problem is not paying $100 my problem is paying unnecessary $100 I want to know what this extra $100 that I pay will give me in return

I completely agree with you that data is very important but if there is not different in one trading result if they are using filtered data vs. unfiltered data why would anyone want to get rid of one dollar of his never the less $100?

Yes I’m a full time trader I use Trade Station and Trans act as my brokers and data providers as I mentioned in my previous post there is a way to modify the data stream on Trade Station for this reason I wanted to hear from a person who experienced any improvement in their trading by using unfiltered data

Did you improve your trading by using CQG? How?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

Ignore this user

Yes go with CQG, unfiltered data is always best...........
The Following User Says Thank You to nicosxm For This Useful Post:

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: