Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

How Many Trades Do You Make A Day?

Trades Per Day  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Trades Per Day

• 1-5
    • 5-15
    • 16-30
    • 31-50
    • More than 50

On average, not even one. I'm just learning. I've been using ScotTrade but just got approved by TS to get going on their platform. I'm sure I will trade more but I have to watch out not to do 4 round trips within a five day period.

Pattern Day Trading Accounts: Based on NASD and NYSE day trading rules, any account that places 4 day-trades in a 5 trading day period is permanently deemed to be a “Pattern Day Trading†account. Pattern Day Trading Accounts must maintain a minimum daily equity balance of US $25,000. If the account balance falls below $25,000, trading is restricted to closing transactions only until the account balance is increased to $25,000.

I don't have that much money, yet. My plan is to learn the ropes while I slowly build up my account. I've had some luck trading and have a better than average understanding of what's going on but still have a long way to go.

My first goal is to learn to choose winning trades consistantly with 100-300 shares or so with stocks from $2-$10. Next would be to average more than 5000 shares traded in a 1 month period so that the TS platform fees would be eliminated.

If I can get over those hurdles, I should be able to build my account up pretty quick and will jump in with both feet. My focus now is carefully learning as much as I can and have successful trades. Once I able to do that I will worry about the money.

On average, not even one. I'm just learning. I've been using ScotTrade but just got approved by TS to get going on their platform. I'm sure I will trade more but I have to watch out not to do 4 round trips within a five day period.

I don't have that much money, yet. My plan is to learn the ropes while I slowly build up my account. I've had some luck trading and have a better than average understanding of what's going on but still have a long way to go.

My first goal is to learn to choose winning trades consistantly with 100-300 shares or so with stocks from $2-$10. Next would be to average more than 5000 shares traded in a 1 month period so that the TS platform fees would be eliminated.

If I can get over those hurdles, I should be able to build my account up pretty quick and will jump in with both feet. My focus now is carefully learning as much as I can and have successful trades. Once I able to do that I will worry about the money.

Welcome to the forums Robert!

You know, if you trade emini's there is no pattern day trader regulations? they also have better tax treatment than equities.

Something to look into if you are interested...

If you have any questions feel free to ask, everyone is here to help :cool:

Could you tell me a little about them. I've only ever traded stocks so I know absolutely nothing about them. I'm finding out that the trading universe is HUGE. Every time I learn something, it leads to something else. A vicious, wonderful cycle.

::EDIT:: OK, Now I have found the EMini forum! that should get me on the right tract.

After reading the emini beginners guide here, it appears it may be a little over my head right now. I can see where there would be many more factors effecting strategy. I'm on a sharp curve on stocks right now and don't want to confuse myself at the moment. I will however, slowly start to read-up on this to familiarize myself.

I do appreciate being alerted to this. Thank you.

I believe a trader should strive to UNDER-TRADE in both size and frequency.

I also believe, as one of the great tape readers did, Being right and sitting tight-that's where the money is.

A few thoughts:

1. Being out of the market is a trading decision.

2. When you are in the market, learn to be comfortable being in it.

3. It is possible to go broke from taking profits too soon. Losses do happen. If they are greater than the small quick profits taken on your winners, then you will go broke.

4. The best opportunities tend to be the rarer ones. If a trade set-up comes 15 times a day, it may not be as good as a set-up that comes 1 to 3 times a week.

5. Traders trade because they have identified high probability trade set-ups within the context of their trading methodology. Gamblers trade for the action.

I believe a trader should strive to UNDER-TRADE in both size and frequency.

I also believe, as one of the great tape readers did, Being right and sitting tight-that's where the money is.

A few thoughts:

1. Being out of the market is a trading decision.

2. When you are in the market, learn to be comfortable being in it.

3. It is possible to go broke from taking profits too soon. Losses do happen. If they are greater than the small quick profits taken on your winners, then you will go broke.

4. The best opportunities tend to be the rarer ones. If a trade set-up comes 15 times a day, it may not be as good as a set-up that comes 1 to 3 times a week.

5. Traders trade because they have identified high probability trade set-ups within the context of their trading methodology. Gamblers trade for the action.

Very nicely said PivotProfiler. Very insightful.