Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

drk1t

Let's talk equipment

I'm curious what most home traders use for their computer trading set up. I have a home made set up. Cable modem, main computer has two video cards with multiple screens for a total of 8 monitors. Winxp OS a comfortable but getting worn out chair. I see active trader commercials and the guy is using a laptop with one screen? I wouldn't dare try trading with less then two screens except for an emergeny backup to get out of positions, maybe? Anyway this is what I have.

AMD 3200 processor

512 of ram (yea I could use more, I gotta get around to getting it)

Two 4 head video cards matrox

Cable modem

8 19 inch LCD montitors

Homemade stands for the montiors so they fit close and angle properly and make viewing easier

Standard keyboard and optical mouse

The two things I consider most important is stability and comfort

A TV sits to the side so I can watch the news CNBS or whatever, the sound is usually off but I kind of watch it at times for the news. I often just play music and watch the screens and do the trades, actually it's more like wait to make the trades. Reminds me of fishing kind of sometimes.

Anyway I'm curious as to what computer systems most people use and I'm open to any suggestions.

I enjoy reading the forum,

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Wow... you have 8 monitors? I am jealous. I have a pretty stable computer.

Pentium 4, 3.40ghz, over 1 gb in ram, wireless keyboard & mouse, and four 17 inch monitors.

Im considering adding one 32 inch monitor just for the stock indexes and sectors... might consider posting it on my wall. I have a mic to record videos and a nice set of speakers for my music.

I DO NOT have a TV. I never have it on while I trade, and I hardly ever watch it even when Im not trading. I also need to get a backup internet connection as I rely on one only right now. But Japan has one of the fastest internet connections in the world... so Im pretty satisfied. Imagine trading in Iran where the best home connection is considered ISDN.

Monitors aren't that expensive any more and they are getting cheaper all the time. The stands to hold them? Now that's where I ran into problems, it was going to cost more for the stands then the monitors! So I wound up making my own. I also put the computer together. I'm 58 and need larger print any more, those days of reading small print are long gone for me so I wanted some monitors that could better display the information I need.

Here is one of the best sites I've found to get some ideas of multimonitor setups. Click the Gallory for ideas. I've thought about getting a couple of wider monitors for one of the stands to display more information. I really ought to have a better back up system. Always something......

Here is an excellent site for multi monitors.

Multiple Monitors.Org - Home of Modular Multiple Monitors, Multi-Displays, Multi-Monitors for Desktop - Video Wall Applications

Yea I agree with you.. the stands cost way too much. One of the best deals I found was to look for Korean brand stands. I am located in Japan, and we get a fairly decent amount of Korean electronic products. They are often 30-50% cheaper than any Japanese brand good.

Thanks for the link David. Im sure it will help traders out here. I personally like to custom build everything. I custom built my computer as well... I find it alot cheaper this way with good specs. Built mine for around $800 USD... plus $200 for each monitor. I use 3 cheap video cards so I basically built mine from scratch for under $2,000. Ive had no problems with it for over 2 years now. :)

Nowadays all anti-virus/firewall programs are free as well.