Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

granny ring

Pivot Points in IB?

Do IB charts allow for pivot points? I haven't found that study. I was planning on using IB for charts (data) and execution, but I am wondering if I should be looking at a second source such as Tradestation or Ninja trader for charts and IB for execution...I plan on day trading ETFs and eminis...

Thanks!

Ninjatrader is the best for this purpose. You can specify exactly when each trading day begins and ends.

That's true, and it's a good feature of NT if you set the beginning and end of each day as the same time (ie 4:15 PM is the open and close, or 12 AM is the open and close, etc). One thing I don't like about this feature though, is that if you set the open and close to different times, like 9:30-4:15, and you look at a chart with those times set as the open and close, the chart will ONLY show data from 9:30-4:15, and it will not show data from after hours or premarket.

I was planning on running Ninja Trader with the feed from IB. Why is this "a bad source of data"

You must did something wrong. You need to run TWS concurrently with NinjaTrader. Also you must configure TWS's API setting correctly.

I was planning on running Ninja Trader with the feed from IB. Why is this "a bad source of data"

Sorry I misread your post, you put in quotes and I thought that was the error message you got while running Ninjatrader. Most of the complaint about IB is their tick data, they have a thing called aggregated tick which decrease bandwidth and increase speed during peak trading session. since this thread is about Pivots in IB, It is kind of irrelevent.

I was planning on running Ninja Trader with the feed from IB. Why is this "a bad source of data" Should I be looking for a paid data feed, like esignal or tradestation?

My understanding of IB data (I've never used it) is that it's a "snapshot" of data rather than real tick data. So the data you're getting isn't tick by tick, but something like millisecond by millisecond, so each update to a 1 tick chart may be several ticks rather than one single tick. It may not actually be milliseconds, but it's a very short amount of time instead of tick by tick. In a fast market, this could make a difference in how you view price action. With Ninja, I use Zenfire, and I'm happy with it. I've heard good things about Esignal, and not so good things about Tradestation, though I think it depends on your style.