Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Reaver

How much does you "trading rig" cost each month?

How much does it cost you each month to trade, as far as data, platform, etc?

I am on a longer term scale right now, but am thinking about getting more intraday as my finances allow once I quit my full time job...I am trying to get a basic concensus on how much I should set aside for monthly bottom line expenses.

Thanks for the info.

How much does it cost you each month to trade, as far as data, platform, etc?

Data: I use interactive brokers. Data $10/month if I don't trade, otherwise just commissions which run $4.80 round trip. There may be other fees for other exchanges other than Globex or ECBOT.

Platform: charting software: Ensignsoftware which links to IB for data. $40.00/month

Front end for IB: zerolinetrader $70/year (yes that's for one year). Provides simple and effective DOM for one click trading including scale ins, scale outs and reversals.

Other than the computer itself, nothing else.

I pay 50 bucks a month for my data plus exchange fees which I think racks up another 50-60 a month, InvestorRT for charting which is 40 bucks a month and commissions at 4.75 rt doing average 8-10 trades a week, so that'd be around 190 bucks a month for those.

All told around 330 a month. My internet is 30 bucks a month if you wanna count that in.

Nate - if you decide to daytrade futures, an inexpensive way to get going is to trade through Open ECry. Reason being they will provide you all the data you could possibly want, free charts and free trading software. Normally I cringe at hearing 'free' but this is not bad at all, esp if you are looking to test the water. You can also take their data and plug it into other charting services, like Multicharts, if you want a more robust charting platform.

So, at OEC, outside of your normal brokerage commissions and internet cost, there's no other fees if you use all their stuff. If you add in Multicharts, that's a one-time up-front cost.

Not bad in my opinion as I have at one point paid $100+/mo for data and $500/mo for my trading platform and then the cost of a charting package as well.

I did used to use them and for 40+ trades a month I used to get a check back for 40 bucks to cover my internet expense. That was pretty sweet. No one else I've ever come across does that.

I agree Tin. That is pretty unheard of.

Brownsfan, thanks for the info. This may be naive, but is it possible to use MP and open ecry, as far as using them for data etc as you mentioned? I imagine I'd be able to plug the data into an application that supported MP, but I just wanted to ask. Thanks.

No idea Nate as I don't use MP. As long as you plug the data into a charting package that supports what you need, I don't see why not. For example, on Multicharts I can run minute charts, volume based, etc. etc. even though you cannot run all of those specifically on OEC's built trading software.

Thanks man I will check it out Brownsfan. Good idea. I am kind of dense when it comes to the needs of a day trader...but I would definitely like to give it a shot as finances allow to see if it suits me better. Thanks for helping out.

So it seems Sierra Charts is a good direction to lean. Thanks for the info.

We should all sign a petition for TinGull and send it to Sierra charts to make it compatible with Macs. LOL

NO kiddin!!! So, for those who use Sierra, here's a Q. When I trial'd it a few months back I found it very clunky. (yes I do use some windows progs on my Mac via parallels) What was the learning curve? The reason I ask is because I would really like to do some cost cutting of my rig. If I were to use the 33 dollar Sierra with my TransAct feed, my cost would be 33 bucks a month instead of almost 200 a month. SOOOO....with all the headaches that I would endure using Windows alone, do you feel the headaches learning to use Sierra as well are worth the cost savings? If I have to I will use the PC side of my Mac more often...it'll hurt, but I can do it.

Thanks

Yeah it seems saving $150 a month would be very beneficial to the bottom line. I am anxious to hear the answer as well, simply because it helps me get a running start on it all.

Right now I am using SMR and Ensign (about to drop ensign though, it's sort of redundant for what I am using it for). I'd like to know what kind of curve I'll be looking at once I make the switch.